The Famous Pink Cadillac of Mary Kay Cosmetics.
In 1968, Miss Mary Kay bought the first pink Cadillac from a Dallas car dealership.
The Pink Cadillac was used as a mobile advertisement for the business.
So, Exactly What is the Mary Kay Business about?
Mary Kay’s stated motto is “Enriching Women’s Lives”. So if you are a woman who loves doing business, you are welcomed with open arms at Mary Kay!
The company was started in Texas by Mary Kay Ash in 1963. Mary Kay was bothered by the inequality of the business world which was mostly run by men. She sought to level the playing field by empowering women with their own business.
At 45 years of age with only $5,000 borrowed from her oldest son, she launched Beauty by Mary Kay.
Sadly, Mary Kay Ash passed away in 2001, however the business she started, is still thriving today.
Her son, Mr. Richard Rogers presently runs the company as Executive Chairman.
Richard was only 20 years old when he co-founded Mary Kay with his mom in 1963.
Mary Kay Inc. is an American owned multi-level marketing company, which products are sold in over 35 global markets and that number continues to grow each year.
If you know anything about MLM, it is not the Best Business Model to make a full time income from home today.
However, As of 2018, Mary Kay is the sixth largest MLM company in the world with total sales of $3.25 Billion.
Their army of Beauty Consultants numbers over two million worldwide!
What Kind of Products Does Mary Kay Sell?
Mary Kay markets over 300 different Beauty Products, that is a big selection!
You may be surprised to also learn that Mary Kay sells many products for men.
From Skin Care, to Eye Cream, and after shave, also some high quality colognes.
Can I Earn a Full Time Income With Mary Kay?
Yes! Many do. For instance, in 2006, the average yearly gross income for a National Sales Director in the United States was $175,443. That is not chump change!
From 1971 to 2014, a period of 43 years, Mary Kay has produced 382 National Sales Directors! That is just in the USA alone!
Of course such an achievement will take a lot of hard work and a lot of great salespersons skills, but if you are willing to make the sacrifice, it is a possibility.
Here are some income statistics for Canadian Reps of Mary Kay during 2018.
In 2018 Mary Kay (Canada) published the following incomes for its salespeople.
• “29,500 people were beauty consultants during the year.
• 1,743 beauty consultants earned more than CAD 100 in commissions.
• 224 of the 447 sales directors earned more than CAD 20,378 in commission. So less than 1% made this amount.
• 9 of the 16 national directors earned more than CAD 100,000 in commission”
It is clear there is money to be made, but the fact is, not many people make full time incomes from Mary Kay.
Some Pros of Mary Kay
• Mary Kay has been around now for over 50 years! They have to be doing something right! And it is one of the very few MLM companies that have not been involved with scandals and investigations by the FTC, or Federal Trade Commission.
• Mary Kay has an A+ Rating with the BBB.
• Mary Kay provides excellent quality products, and many professional-looking sales tools to help reps to build their businesses.
• Their company website is top-notch and provides their reps with extensive marketing materials.
• You can be a Boss Babe!
• There are three easy steps in becoming a Mary Kay Rep.
1. You must find a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant to sign up under.
2, Then, you must Sign and Submit an Independent Beauty Consultant Agreement.
3. Get your Starter Kit and start having FUN!
• Of course the person who signs you up will be your mentor and helper to help you achieve your goals.
• Another PRO for Mary Kay is you already have a HIGHLY recognized NAME BRAND whose products are already loved by millions of women worldwide!
• You can earn up to 50% on everything you sell at retail!
• And, If you build a team, you can earn product rewards and other cash bonuses, plus a commission based on your team members’ product sales.
• You can also become one of the many owners of a Mary Kay Career Car, which happens to be one of the best car incentive programs in the MLM Industry!
Some Cons of Mary Kay
• As is the case with almost every single Multi Level Marketing company, you do not make any significant money unless you recruit new Mary Kay distributors to your team.
• Many former Independent Beauty Consultants, or Reps, have complained that the initial ordering process is actually a form of “front loading” of products when you first become a distributor.
• Due to the fact that Reps are required to purchase a $225 minimum order every three months to remain active, there are many Reps that end up having large amounts of “inventory” which they can’t sell.
• Mary Kay has admitted that out of all their active IBCs, only about 50% made commissions over $100 yearly. .
2020 Review Conclusion for Mary Kay
There is no question that Mary Kay is an amazingly successful company that has been around for over 50 years.
And with a 50-year history combined with a rating of A+ from the BBB, Mary Kay will no doubt be around for a long time.
Mary Kay offers stability and instant brand recognition which are pretty awesome right off the bat.
They also definitely make many highly-rated products.
Let’s be frank here though, anyone reading this, including myself is looking to leave our job and replace it with a full time income that we can make right at home from our computers.
That can NOT be done with Mary Kay.
Their business model is a MLM model and probably will always be that way.
Unless you are in the top 1% of talented, expert marketers and sales people, you will end up making little, if anything.
This is a known fact among ALL MLMs, not just Mary Kay.
In fact, many reps end up with rooms that have hundreds or even thousands of dollars of products that sits there unsold.
But if you are the top of the top when it comes to sales, and you love selling, go for it!
A Different Business Model that Works!
I have been involved in many different MLMs over the years. I did pretty good with Melaleuca for a couple years.
In fact, I still buy their products. Both my wife and I love their Vitamins and skin care. But I no longer do it as a business.
As with all MLMs, unless you have the gift of approaching complete strangers and convincing them of how great your program is, over 99% of the reps will never make a full time income.
I decided to try a different business model a while back. One where I do not have to convince ANYONE of anything!
No more bugging my friends and family. My Website produces all my leads and sales now. A better way than MLM.
But how do you know this model will work? Because there is proof of it!
If you have any specific questions or comments please leave them below, and thanks for reading.